As our High School Marching Band continues to grow (we currently have over 170 students enrolled), we want to review the steps that must be completed in conjunction with band camp starting on August 8th, 2011.
1. Review the 2011 band camp schedule. In general, morning and afternoon practices the first week, evening practices the second week. Two parades on August 20th and Preview Night on August 23rd.
2. Complete a physical examination and file it with the band office. You have 2 options:
- Dr. Anderson will be giving physicals at the high school on Thursday August 4th, 2011 from 10am-2pm. You do not need an appointment, and we will have the forms available. The cost is $10, paid to Dr. Anderson.
- Get your physical at your family doctor. If you use your family doctor, please make sure you turn in the completed form before camp begins on August 8th. Getting the form: Download the Preparticipation Physical Evaluation form (PDF) from the Ohio High School Athletic Association. Band students usually only need to complete pages 1 and 2. Student athletes can use the same form for athletics and for band.
3. Complete the Emergency Medical Form (PDF) and file it with the band office before camp begins.
4. Get fitted for your uniform and pay your uniform fees.
There is “early bird” uniform fittings on August 4th, from 10am to 4pm. This is a great time for returning band members to make sure their uniform still fits. Returning students need to bring their tote, spats, gloves, ascot, shoes (both pair), tee shirt and shorts so that they can be checked for condition as well as fit. Fittings on this day will be on a first come, first serve basis.
Additional uniform fitting sessions are based on the first letter of your last name.
Last name begins with: Fitting date/time
- A-F : Monday, August 8th, 12:00pm – 2:30pm
- G-L: Monday, August 8th, 2:30pm – 5:00pm
- M-R: Tuesday, August 9th, 12:00pm – 2:30pm
- S-Z: Tuesday, August 9th, 2:30pm – 5:00pm
During fitting, freshmen will be given a tote to organize and carry uniform items (spats, gloves, ascot, shoes, tee shirt & shorts) to and from performances.
Review the list of uniform fees (PDF) ahead of time so you know what to expect during the fitting sessions. Also, students who use school-owned instruments will need to sign a rental agreement and pay a maintenance fee of $50 for the year.
5. Parents may optionally want to attend the August 1st Band Booster meeting (7pm in the AWHS band room). All band parents and anyone else interested in supporting the band are invited to join us. You can ask questions about band camp and getting ready for the 2011-12 marching band season. Plus, you can learn about what the Band Boosters are working on, with opportunities to volunteer to help out.